Saturday, November 20, 2004

 
REX emerges from hibernation and is picked up for a free meal by the Torrance Police Department...

Mildred,

It's been almost three weeks since the elections and only now am I getting some semblance of perspective. After drowning in hotel bars, I finally washed up somewhere in the South Bay this past Wednesday. Where exactly I can't say for sure. The police officers that picked me up were Torrance cops, and were more than willing (honored?) to give me a ride back home. We even stopped off at Norm's for breakfast when they discovered who I was.

Besides that, I don't really know where I was the week following Bush's landslide win. If my limited memory serves me, I do recall roaming 7th avenue after dark in downtown Los Angeles, stumbling over Mexicans smoking weed on the sidewalk outside the Meridian hotel. The promise of economic recovery does not pertain to anything west of the 101 freeway. The hotels share the same fate, serving as hotbeds for transient Amway salesmen, Koreans Tourist, Hookers and crack-heads (many times all four). The hotel kitchen closes early around 10 and I recall not being able to order in a decent meal to save my life. As business officially shuts down at the hotel, other activities emerge. Jet lag Japanese tourist awaken: hopelessly restless caged animals ready to hit the sites. But here there is nowhere to go without a taxi ride through the burning jungle of 7th Avenue. Pimps in fur coats, sporting a cliché of a cliché of a cliché. The revival Latino Baptist church across the way keeps the streets safe on Friday nights till midnight. After that, you are on your own with God and best been saved the day before.

To make matters worse, the LAPD lost the proposition for additional funding. The police chief is so fed up, he's ready to jump ship. But before he leaves, he told me he'd like to stick it to the Republican governor and the president. The chief is willing to let the dominos fall for a higher good. In selected "selected" drinking company the other night he slurred, "If the city burns.. so be it. Burn until the cries of an ignored city are no longer."

If this happens, that lame duck president is in more trouble than Ron Artest at an all white strip joint in Detroit.

Anyway, Ricki Lake is about to come on and I'd like to see how she's doing these days.

How's Paris? Did you catch the culprit that poisoned Arafat?

Over and out as I nurse this hangover from the elections, bet against the Raiders, and wait for a Vioxx equivalent to surface …FAST!

With deep admiration and love,

Rex

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?