Tuesday, January 18, 2005

 

Blame it on being polite..

I ran into John McCain at Dulles airport on Friday night. It was after midnight and he was wore a blue tie with what I like to call the immaculately pressed "Blend in Senator Suit." Looking around the crammed vehicle that shuttled us from Main terminal to baggage claim, no one seemed to even blink an eye. Maybe it was late and everyone was tired and miserable and wanted to get home to their families. Maybe no one knew what the hell John McCain looked like.

John was humble in size compared to the ideals that were often projected onto his face. His tobacco chaw mouth was just as it looked on TV, but smaller than I imagined. Given his prison of war status I envisioned Rambo muscles bulging out of his suit. If you hadn't seen him on every talking heads Sunday morning news show for the last eight years, you might think he was just in DC on business from New York. Never Arizona. He was presidential.

I suspect a third theory to the indifference: People in DC are immune to electoral and public service celebrity. This is the exact opposite of LA where you could be sitting around a café in Venice (or a laundry mat in Hacienda Heights for that matter) and some child actor from Mr Belvedere gets mobbed for autographs.

I decided that despite standing next to one of the most notable senators of this generation, people were more pre-occupied with beltway traffic and which Nanny will be picking up their kid for t-ball practice tomorrow.

Regardless of the reason for all this indifference, I was just as guilty. I wanted to mention that my father was Vietnam vet and would be honored to know that his son was able to meet a prisoner of war survivor. But, did my Dad really like John McCain THAT much?

Also, was it still appropriate to shake the hand of a senator? Maybe only WWII veterans and UAW workers from OHIO shake the hands of senators. Maybe you have to be on an official campaign trail. Maybe he's like Donald Trump and has a phobia of germs.

I began looking around for body guards. I pictured myself trying to shake his hand and getting attacked and thrown to the ground. Maybe the bodyguards had tasers and I would be electrocuted. What a way to ruin your weekend.

Regardless, John McCain was submerged in the throws of conversation with some side kick advisor (less the senator suit) and I would be interrupting. I left my excuse at that. It's a lame excuse but I suppose it's just as lame as taking over a country in the name of weapons of mass destruction. Two wrongs don't make a right. That's what I learned from this whole brush with greatness.

I should have interrupted him and at least said, "Air travel's a bitch ain't it?"

There's always next time..

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?